NDD United communicates with Congress, the Administration, the media, and the public through letters, sign on letters, and press releases. Below is a list of our most recent correspondence:
- NDD United Statement on the FY 2018 NDAA Cotton Amendment to End Sequestration
- Press Advisory for September 6th Press Conference Feat. Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (August 24, 2017)
- Press Statement on the Proposed Fiscal 2018 "Security" Spending Package (Jul. 25, 2017)
- Press Statement in Response to House Budget Resolution for FY 2018 (Jul. 18, 2017)
- Letter to House Appropriators Opposing 302(b) Allocations for FY 2018 (Jul. 13, 2017)
- Press Statement in Response to Proposed Cuts in FY 2017 (Mar. 29, 2017)
- Press Statement on the Effects of Trump "Skinny" Budget on Trump Country (Mar. 15, 2017)
- Press Statement on President's Address to Congress (Mar. 1, 2017)
- Letter to Congress from 2,000 Organizations Opposing More Cuts to Nondefense Programs
(Mar. 1, 2017)
- Press Statement on President's Budget Plans (Feb. 27, 2017)
- Press Statement in Response to Passage of Short Term CR (Dec. 9, 2016)
- Letter to Appropriators Renewing Call for Clean Omnibus (Nov. 17, 2016)
- Letter to Appropriators Calling for Clean Omnibus (Oct. 6, 2016)
- Letter to Congress Calling for a Short Term CR with No Riders (Sept. 1, 2016)
Press Release available here.
- Statement Opposing McCain Amendment to Boost OCO (March 26, 2016)
- Statement Opposing House OCO Gimmick (March 19, 2016)
- Letter to Congress Urging Lawmakers to Pass Omnibus Spending Legislation (Nov. 16, 2015)
- Letter to Congress Calling on them to "Vote No" on Default Prevention Act (Oct. 21, 2015)
- After Avoiding Shutdown, Congress Must Get to Work and Raise the Caps (Oct. 7, 2015)
- New Budget Bill Would Prevent Shutdown and Reinvest in American Security at Home and Abroad (Sep. 14 2015)
- Letter to Congress from 2,500 Organizations Seeking Sequestration Relief (Sep. 10, 2015)
- Budget Conference Guts Nondefense Investments (Apr. 30, 2015)
- Senate Republican Budget Guts Nondefense Investments (Mar. 19, 2015)
- House Republican Budget Guts Nondefense Investments (Mar. 18, 2015)
- Letter to Congress from 2,100 Organizations Seeking End to Sequestration (Feb. 18, 2015)
Below is a list of tools that NDD United has developed to help advocates participate in the campaign and educate others about the value of NDD programs, as well as the impact of budget cuts. NDD United encourages groups to customize language from any of the materials for use in their own efforts.
- ·“Raise the Caps” Toolkit – Please use this toolkit to promote our September 6th “Raise the Caps” Day. Tools include sample tweets, press releases, and OpEds, as well as other helpful information about amplifying your message.
- NDD United Action Center – Thanks to the support of Bread for the World, NDD United now has a platform for grassroots to get involved in our efforts. Constituents can send an editable message directly to their Members of Congress through our online form available here. Sample language is provided but can be personalized.
- Faces of Austerity – Faces of Austerity: How Budget Cuts Have Made Us Sicker, Poorer, and Less Secure (Nov. 2013) tells the stories of those who've been impacted most by Washington's failure to protect the programs that keep us healthy, safe, and educated. Its an excellent reference for explaining sequestration and demonstrating the impacts of cuts. Download a copy here.
NDD United hosts events to help educate the community, Congress, and the public about the importance of NDD programs. Through this outreach, we are able to raise awareness of potential threats to NDD and work collaboratively to influence federal budget decisions. Some of the events we support are:
- Town Halls – These events bring together members of the community and provide an arena for discussing what the community as a whole can do to fight sequestration. Presenters at these Town Halls include former and current Members of Congress, administration officials, and budget experts. They also provide a venue for groups to promote their own activities and efforts around austerity.
- Press Conferences – NDD United leadership regularly participates in press conferences with Members of Congress and other community leaders calling for an end to the harmful sequestration cuts. In the past, NDD United has collaborated with the defense industry and university representatives, as well.
- Briefings – In conjunction with the release of our report Faces of Austerity: How Budget Cuts Make Us Sicker, Poorer and Less Secure, NDD United held a Capitol Hill Briefing featuring Americans featured in the report, as well as other briefings about NDD and the impact of budget cuts on Americans’ lives. These types of events put a face on the budget cuts and help educate Hill staff, the media, and advocates about the impacts of austerity on individuals and communities.
- Twitter Days – Twitter activities for NDD United are typically planned to accompany the release of sign on letters and other publications and events. NDD United often supplies supporters with draft tweets and tips on social media advocacy to amplify the message.